22.5.08

my little world

i have been housesitting since saturday in....of all places...eloy. new community for older people. i guess they don't really care what city they live in as long as there is a security gate and a golf course right?

its been nice and relaxing. in the middle of nowhere with no roommates and no television (which i figured out recently that there is tv....satelite at that....but i continue to act like i dont know that).

i have had things to do still at home in tempe, so there have been some treks back and forth. but i enjoyed them. a lot of good thinking time put in. (2 nights ago i even got adventurous and took all back roads home from gilbert....through queen creek -the town not the road-....florence....coolidge....casa grande...to get to eloy. i can already hear the men in my life *why would you do that.....what if you broke down...yada yada*)

my mind has been doing inventory of my life lately on these drives:

--------------thursday night ----

hung out with kelli (friend since age 5, played soccer as kids, had almost all high school classes with, double dated to prom twice, co-captains high school ...club....and college soccer, went to asu with, roomates 1 year tempe, was her bridesmaid....)
and her husband joe(friend since grade school, grew up 2 houses away from, my cousins best friend, threw me in the swimming pool at brad myers bday party...)

-------------friday night ----

drove to eloy to console melissa (friend since age 5, went to school every morning together for 8 years, made up roller skating routines in driveway to songs like "insane in the membrane", spent countless summers doing every city offered activity, played soccer together 8 years, got drunk together for the first time in high school after being influenced by our "cool" senior friend, technically her maid of honor..... saw mt. st. helens together....)

-----------monday night ----

went to my indoor soccer game and played with stephanie (friend since 5th grade club soccer....jr high, high school and club soccer.... grew up on the street behind me......once high centered her bronco in the desert and walked back barefoot together.....tried to teach me to drive stick......bridesmaid at her wedding.... have seen both of her babies grow up into fiesty boys.... was there for the "break-up"....)
and also played with marcella (friend since grade school.... had a major crush on her older bro my whole life... club and high school soccer.... my bar buddy and partner in crime throughout college.... worked for an insane boss together......current roomate for past year and a half....)

----------tuesday ----

spent the day at palo verde elementary's field day, where my mom and dad (self explanatory) are both teachers
they work with my good friend, casey(friend since 4th grade.... made up silly secret clubs with secret code names ....were international pen pals whenever on vacation.... club and high school soccer..... once dated guys that were best friends and from eloy..ew..... was an official sister on her family vacations..... moms were good friends and we never got away with anything bc of it.... )
and just for fun, their boss is dolores (my boyfriends aunt...)


in a span of a week.... this is typical... the people that i see the most are people that i have know for basically my whole life.... my best friends.... or friends of my best friends.... or my actual family.... or family of my best friends.... they have been with me at the mundane times in life that i now look back on and smile.... its so weird.

on my drives i wonder a lot about how my life would be if i didnt have so many ties back to my past, my whole upbringing..... who would i be if i didnt have that reminder of my roots...of who i really am...... who is so blessed that they can forever have a connection with the people resposible for making them who they are?

i wondered too, how many times have i made that drive? on almost the ugliest stretch of I-10 between phoenix and tucson....... i know every bend and bump in the road... the names of all the unimportant overpasses.... all the alternate routes in case of accidents and closures...... the favorite steak-out places of the highway patrol.....

its like my own little world..... phoenix to casa grande.... the stretch of I-10..... my little bubble...i dont stray much from it....only for short periods of time....

i wonder what it would be like to leave my bubble....and what place would even be worthy enough to be my new bubble?? what an adventure to create a new little world for myself.....

oh...the possibilities when my mind is just allowed to think away...wrecklessly.......i think this is a great argument to get rid of my tv.

1 comment:

April said...

I have a 20 minute drive to work every morning. A lot of times I turn the radio off and just ride in silence. It's wonderful. Some people don't get it, but most of the time I have music and three kids talking at the same time. So when I am alone, it's nice to just enjoy the silence and get lost in my thoughts as I drive.

But I would die without TV. How pathetic is that?