5.5.08

8th Grade Wisdom

so i have been on this kick lately of shedding my complexities...... that sounds so sophisticated right??

HA! Really it means that im getting rid of A LOT of junk. I am one of those pack-rat types where getting rid of things is very ritualistic and sometimes emotional. I can't simply go through everything and decide "keep" or "trash."I have to meticulously look through it...if called for I must read every page/side/scribble of it.....and ponder about that time in my life. Who knew my time sheets and meeting notes could make me remember what I had for lunch two years ago and what I was wearing on that day?

So I'm doing this as we speak and I realized some things.... I have been 5'4" since I was in the 8th grade. How disappointing...considering I no long weigh 102lbs! And also, the core of my personality has not changed since I was in the 8th grade either. Check this out (taken from the chicken soup for the teenage soul journal):

Make a list of all the things you like about yourself:
eyes, teeth, kindness, butt, athleticism, toes, clothes, lips, smile, im in shape, i get good grades

Make a list of all the things you don't like about yourself:
skin(acne), height, hair, short temper, shyness, my laugh is horrible, nail-biting, messy room

What special talents do you have?
I run fast, i play soccer and volleyball well, musical on piano and clarinet, excellent photographic memory, i cook good food

What are some of your favorite things to do?
Sports, "thinking" games on pc and N64, surf the net & chat online, be goofy with my friends, draw/redecorate my room, shop, watch movies

Make a list of things you are self-conscious about:
weight, skin, what people think of me

I would love and respect myself more if:
I would stop trying to make things happen the way I want them to and if I would be more Christian than I act

Write about things that are difficult for you:
Its hard for me to talk about emotions to anyone, Its hard to get along with my dad, Its hard to be a Christian, Its hard to stay calm dealing with ignorant people, I have a hard time sticking with things

Are you religious? I'm just a Christian. That's not a religion.

Name one thing you would change about yourself: I would change my singing voice

For what are you grateful ? Everything & everyone that has changed my life in some way or kept me safe, healthy, and happy

How would you describe a true friend? Always there and thats it. They dont have to be happy or nice or truthful all the time. NOBODY is that way. So they would just have to be exactly how they are but always be there for me.

Make a list of the qualities you want in a boyfriend:
Christian, class, humor, caring, unpredictable, athletic, love for music, cute, romantic

What is the best thing about being in a relationship: the feeling that you are loved
What is the best thing about NOT being in a relationship: the arguments that you DONT have

I haven't changed a bit.....that gives me a great sense of peace. Only if someone would have told me that I was on the right track back then!! Seriously, I would now like to just cut out the high school and college eras of my life, because all of those life experiences have led me to this new path....... which happens to be the same path I was on at age 14!!! Wow... talk about taking a detour. Goodness.

I guess that is not entirely true. Too bad I can't just cut and paste all of the good things of my high school and college eras together...i can't do that right? Really...not possible? ok.

OK. So just thought of another very weird piece of that "path" analogy/metaphor (whatevs)
I also now have the same bf I did when I was in 8th grade.

I just blew my own mind. I hope my future children will have the same wisdom when they are that young...I promise I will make them aware of it.

(p.s. this is now book idea #2)

1 comment:

April said...

Hey Ginger - I have missed you!

The detour will come in to play later. A time will come in your life where you will go Oh, that's why I went through that. Everything happens for a reason.

And boy you were right on with the perfect boyfriend requirement. Except you left out "excessively neat and germaphobic."

I am like you, I keep things forever. And it's almost painful to get rid of stuff. Someitmes it's fun to go through it all and purge. :)