9.7.08

the first truth (back to grace walk again)

(sorry for the interruption)

ask this on a sunday morning and see the discussion arise: What does it mean to live a Christian life? Why is everyone's answer completely different.... who knows. But no one really seems to have the real answer.

I use to answer that with "your life should look like this" kind of answers. Filled with reading your bible, praying a lot, saving the world, being nice, etc. So this first truth puzzled me for awhile bc it clearly strikes down a "your life should look like this" type of answer.

Truth: Improving your behavior will not give you victory in the Christian life.

Um hello? I have been taught for how many years of my life how to become more christian or be closer to god... and there was always something i needed to improve on or do better in order to have that perfect life.

But the author really got my brain turning because he asks "what are some of the things you've done to try to be victorious?" but right after asks if those actions really gave you a victorious life. NO! Mediocre at best... filled with lots of "rededication" (which by the way is not even a word, according to spell check... if its not a word how can you do it?)

But the bible describes the Christian life as full of joy and victory? Whats the deal then? I have felt more defeat than victory in my life.

What really stuck out to me thinking about this truth is the word flesh. Paul describes his life before Christ as "fleshy" (Philippians 3:3-6) But to everyone else he seemed perfect. I have read that passage so many times but never got what he was saying until now. Paul says its not about what family you are raised in, how well u know scripture, how devoted you are, or how perfect you may act. Its not about behavior.... so then why did i ever think that improving my behavior would make my life better? No idea.

I now see flesh as living a life based on :
Self- Sufficiency
Achievement
Trying
Earning favor
Promising
Self-Improvement
Commitment
Dedication

Instead of a life based on just trusting God. Before this, I always put flesh with murder, adultery, immorality, etc.

So what does it mean to live the Christian life? It means to trust God, with everything... with your whole life..... and thats it. Thats what it looks like.

Easy enough answer.... no one ever seems to give that answer though.

The next thing I really enjoyed was how the author uses Genesis to put all of this in perspective. How to live a Christian life is right there, in the first book (Genesis 2:8-9, 16-17). My favorite part is pointing out the 2 specific trees... theres the Tree of Life .... and the Tree of Knowledge of Good & Evil.

That would be the first indication that Life .... and Right&Wrong.... are completely separate things.... (I never even noticed that distinction before... and we have all read Genesis 2 like a bajillion times).....PLUS God never intended that people live a life knowing good & evil which is why they were forbidden to eat from that tree....and only that tree... All they had to do was trust God, he had provided everything for them... THE ENTIRE WORLD.

Why did they eat from it then? For 2 reasons.... 1)they thought they could do (behavior) something to be like God and 2) they thought that they were not like God. Both of those were lies... (Genesis 1:26-31 and 3:5)


Anyway, I totally relate to Eve. I have a desire to be godly and so I try to improve myself, but really I have been lied to... I am already like God, I even have Christ as my life. I don't have to do anything at all. Not one thing.... except trust God and allow him to transform me....


"oh the folly of trying to enter a room that you are already in." -- watchman nee

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

these are not acceptable answer not as easy as it seem. Life is allways about work since the days of the fall of mankind. with this grace walk i dont have to do anything or even have a great Relationship it destroy my dessires to do anything then and its starting to agate me

ginger said...

life stopped being about work after jesus. with grace you can do EVERYTHING... you are free.... that is the beauty